Using "Excuse", "Forgive", and "Pardon"
Excuse, forgive, & pardon can be followed by an object + the gerund or for + an object + the gerund (both common in spoken English). These three verbs can also be followed by a possessive adjective + the gerund, but this is more formal and less likely to be used in spoken English. These examples are marked with an asterisk (*). Excuse, forgive, & pardon can also be followed by nouns.
- Excuse me interrupting.
- Excuse me for interrupting.
- *Excuse my interrupting.
- Excuse the interruption.
- I can't forgive him lying to me.
- I can't forgive him for lying to me.
- *I can't forgive his lying to me.
- I can't forgive his lies.